2019 State Conference
Notwithstanding the impact of the February floods, which resulted in reduced delegates numbers, by all accounts the recent state conference at The Ville Resort-Casino was a resounding success.
169 delegates, 107 trade representatives from 50 companies, and 52 presenters came together in Townsville for the first ever ACORN QLD event.
Delegates affected by the flooding were offered the opportunity to attend the entire conference including the Thursday evening social function by paying for 1 day only. Those that did attend were extremely grateful for the opportunity to be part of such an amazing educational event in their own backyard.
Each delegate received branded ACORN QLD gifts which included a metal water bottle, jute hessian shopping bag, pen and 16GB USB drive. There are excess items which have now been stored with our Secretariat for future use.
Delegates had the option to attend 45 oral presentations, including a mock trial, 3 trade run masterclasses (all fully booked), the ACORN (national) AGM & member Q&A session and view 4 poster presentations. All were well attended and received, and the feedback/comments were very positive.
Presentation awards recipients:
· People’s Choice Best Oral Presentation: Ruby Shillito (Ipswich Hospital) - “Out of The Box: A First World Solution For A First World Problem”
· People’s Choice Best Poster Presentation: Erin Wakefield (Eastern Area Health VIC) - “Transition Shock: Is Your Graduate Nurse At Rick”
· Scientific Best Oral Presentation: Joy Jensen (Redcliffe Hospital) - “How Clean Are Your Operating Room Floors”
· Scientific Best Poster Presentation: Michelle Love & Tina Boric (The Prince Charles Hospital) - “Interpreting the Results From Our Perioperative Attire Audit”
The 52 booth, fully booked Trade Exhibition provided delegates the opportunity to meet the trade representatives, view the latest equipment and consumables, purchase clothing items and even have their palm read. The Pavilion venue was outstanding and provided ample room for the exhibition and catering areas. The trade rep feedback was very positive on all accounts.
3 companies provided additional financial sponsorship:
· 3M - sponsoring the conference apps (attendee & trade)
· Medical+Optical - sponsoring the photobooth at the gala dinner
· Wellspect - sponsoring the ACORN QLD Perioperative Excellence Awards presented at the gala dinner
3 companies also provided sponsorship by running a concurrent masterclass which were well attended:
· Medical+Optical - Surgical Instrumentation
· Lohmann & Rauscher - Smart Draping
· Smith & Nephew - Negative Pressure Wound Therapy
· People’s choice Best Trade Booth
o Lohmann & Rauscher - PRIZE: free trade registration to the 2021 event
· Delegate Competition for the most scanned QR code by the trade
o Mandy Shailer - The Townsville Hospital - PRIZE: free delegate registration to the 2021 event
· Panda Pearls Lucky Door Prize (donated by Panda Pearls)
o Teresa Birrell - St Vincent’s Hospital, Toowoomba - PRIZE: $500 string of pearls
· Medeleq Lucky Door Prize
o Emma Taber - Mater Hospital, Bundaberg - PRIZE: Glass weigh scales
· Big Green Lucky Door Prize
o Annabel Holliss - ACORN Admin - PRIZE: Care Pack
· Medical+Optical Photobooth Prize
o Lesley Roberts - Sunshine Coast University Hospital - PRIZE: $200 pen set
· Lohman & Rauscher Get Smart in the OR
o Nilanthi Wells - Mater Hospital, Townsville - PRIZE: Samsung Tablet
Both social events were well attended:
· 168 attending the Thursday evening Meet & Greet and Official Exhibition Opening
· 121 attending the Friday evening “Casino Royale” Gala Dinner & Awards Presentation
o Groove Music enticed the guests with their fabulous sound
o In The Booth photobooth was lots of fun
o The “Shaken & Stirred” game was enjoyed by all
o Awards recipients were announced:
§ Novice: Ashleigh Bazzo - The Prince Charles Hospital
§ Team: Northside Perioperative Consortium Nurse Educators
§ Excellence: Monica Mooney - Mater Private Bundaberg
Conference presentations and photographs are available for members to view via the members login above.
2019 Conference Convenor